Saturday, February 21, 2009

I Need Help...

So much help. I was retarded enough to take a history class online. I was thinking, "hey, I like History. It should be pretty easy." Boy was I wrong. I love learning about history if someone is teaching and loves teaching it. They find a way to make it interesting. For my online class we have to read a chapter and take a quiz. Sounds simple enough. I was thinking I'd breeze through it with no problems! Again, wrong. I am so bored reading this text. Not only am I bored reading it, but it makes me feel like an idiot because it uses a lot of words I don't understand. It's so wordy and so boring. Each chapter is about 30 pages. 30 pages of boring. I have to read two of these chapters a week and I am spending every waking minute (besides those that are enjoyed by getting my family into Lost) reading this ridiculous textbook. Which makes life more difficult with doing weddings and most importantly being a mom. Needless to say I am struggling big time in this class and I am desperate for ideas on how to get through it!!!

11 comments:

Melody's Voice said...

Ok so, are the tests multiple choice and are they timed? If they are MC and not timed what you need to do is just skim the book for the answers. Because most tests are timed for online classes, you skim the reading, get familiar with what's in the chapter and while taking the test you skim quickly. And, if the question mentions a movement or a person or something, you go to the index and find with pages contain info on that topic, and again, skim quickly. Good luck!

Nickell said...

Ok, so I did forget to mention that part. They are timed, I have 20 minutes to complete them. I found an online study guide that has pre-tests for the chapters and other study material. The quizes are open book and open notes. The teacher will also provide a study guide and chapter summary. I have read entire chapters, taken pre-tests, had all the notes available to me during the tests. His questions are so off that I will even search (with word finder) for the main topic in the question and not find it anywhere in my material. I don't know what to do.

Lloyd & Kristi said...

Bite the bullet, Nickell. You took the class. I told you history was boring! Now you have to man up and read the material and take the test. There is no cheating here, no short cuts, no easy way out JUST DO IT! I think is the advice a wise man once gave.
Sorry, I know you were looking for sympathy and understanding but...
(Stop laughing, Jeny)

Lloyd & Kristi said...

PS
Read it to Kade in a really animated voice, not baby talk just "sing-songy". He doesn't know what you're reading (apparently neither do you) but at least he won't feel like you are ignoring him and it will help his verbal skills. Maybe it will help you too if you read aloud and put some emotion into what you are reading.

There. How was that for understanding and compassionate?

Riley said...

The war of 1812 was in 1812. I am sorry I cannot be of more help.

Lloyd & Kristi said...

I miss you Riley Nay by the bay eating hay who does NOT like Kelsay

Nickell said...

I AM READING IT!!!

Nickell said...

oh and ps I HAD to take it!

Unknown said...

Just keep swimming! It's almost over. And by the way, can you fix the family blog so it goes right here instead of to the page that tells me to go here?

Erin said...

I feel you, dawg. I read stuff all the time and I'm like, "wait a second, isn't art history my major? Shouldn't I understand all these words and philosophies by now?"

Unfortunately I don't think I have any great advice for you.

But I am excited about Lost on Wednesday.

Amy said...

You think 30 pages of history is boring, try 30 pages of psychology! Blah, blah, blah. It's all just nonsense. I do what the first girl said, read through the chapter, skimming, and then skim during the test. Sometimes I also have another window open and just look it up on Wiki or something. Ah, the joy of taking a class online!!!

Blog Archive

Other Fun Stuff