Sunday, November 2, 2008

Apple Sauce....Tere This is For You!

My cousin Teresa says she doesn't know how to can. In my canning experience (which isn't a lot, but a decent amount) apple sauce is one of the easiest. Grape juice is the very easiest, but apple sauce is close. So for you Tere, I am going to post step by step directions so you are able to can your own! Usually I make it with my cousin Lisa, but she didn't have a lot of time this year. She is the one that taught me how to do it. Ok so here you go...

First buy apples....

Second: Quarter your apples....



Third: Boil your apples until they are soft, you can tell because the skin kind of comes off...

Fourth: Drain the apples...


Fifth: Mash the apples. (This is a tricky step if you don't have the machine. If you don't have it, you need to peel and core your apples before you do this. The machine I have filters out the "guts". If you don't have it, you can probably just do it in the blender or a food processor.)

These are the guts....

See Lisa this is what happens when you aren't making applesauce with me!

It's kind of gross looking in this picture. It makes it look like fat or something. But I promise it tastes delicious.

Once you are done mashing, add a little of this and a little of that, to taste....
Cinnamon and Sugar


This is the finished product, once they are in the jars, put them in a water bath canner for something like 30 min? For more information on that, just email me....


Aaron enjoying the tasty treat!


4 comments:

Bowman's Beach said...

you make it look so easy! SIGH!

Teresa said...

Very cool... but at the risk of sounding dumb- I have NO idea what a "machine" or a water canner are. Once I know that though I bet I could figure it out! Thanks for the picture tutorial... You guys crack me up :)

Fun and Festive said...

Fresh applesauce is the best. Grandma Frances taught me how to make it. YUM!

Lisa said...

Nik-I am missing our "tradition" looks like I done good in my teaching though!!!

Blog Archive

Other Fun Stuff