Tuesday, November 16, 2010

It All Started With A Buzz Cut...

A few weeks before Tadd was born, Kade needed a haircut. He needed a haircut SO bad. The way his hair grows creates a rat tail in the back. It's awful. Anyway, I decided I couldn't put it off any longer or I might barf. I got out the clippers and started buzzing away. I started on with a 3 guard on the clippers. It wasn't going to be too short, but short enough to keep my lunch down for a few more days.

He was OK with me cutting it because he got to play "Yario Kart"...

Whilst cutting his hair. I found something. It looked like I messed up and cut a spot too short but I knew I hadn't. It was pretty obvious so I cut the hair shorter hoping it would become less obvious...it helped but only a little. He had this bald spot. A bald spot that hadn't been there the last time his hair was cut like 6 ish weeks before....

He happened to have a doctors appointment that same day. The doctor told us to keep an eye on it and see what happens. So we did and it grew. (I'll take a picture of it when he wakes up from his nap) We took him to the doctor again and he referred us to a dermatologist. We had that appointment today and it turns out he has Alopecia Areata. Basically it's hair loss in a circle shape.

Alopecia areata is a type of hair loss that occurs when your immune system mistakenly attacks hair follicles which is where hair growth starts. -Web MD

They don't know what causes it and the doctor told us that it usually reverses itself but with a steroid cream applied three times a day it will help it grow back more quickly. He also said he sees a few other spots on his head where it might be starting to fall out. So he could soon have a few other bald circles on his head. I'll probably just cut his hair really short and start putting the cream on those spots as well....Crazy! Apparently it's fairly common. It's just so weird!

We've always joked about his "receding hairline" and that he'll probably go bald early in life...just didn't think it would be this early!!


5 comments:

Sarah said...

my neighbor has alopecia... she started to get it when she was late teens. except it took every last hair of her body! crazy! I felt bad for her, as did she feel bad for herself, but now she embraces it. now she's married and in her 20's and I didn't even know too much about alopecia before this. it's always shocking when we find out our kids aren't perfect. I think he'll still grow up to be a handsome boy and look wonderful.
an he's still a cutie, with or without hair!

Amy said...

Poor kid

Barry Lauritzen said...

Seems like there is a new physical problem that comes to light every day. I never heard of this before. I hope that the recovery is quick and complete. Good luck Kade.

Derek said...

keith had that going on! He had like 6 spots on his head and they got so big and joined together. It was crazy! They are finally filling in though, so no worries :)At least Kade's blonde and not black headed... that way its not as noticable :)

Fun and Festive said...

Weird. Hope it clears up soon.

Blog Archive

Other Fun Stuff