Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Green Thumb? Maybe...

A few months ago we planted a garden. I had fantastic intentions of posting about it every month. Well that definitely didn't happen. I have always wanted a garden. We always had one when I was growing up and I loved it. I love the idea of being able to walk into your back yard and pick all the veggies you need to make a salad, or anything else veggie related! This year we finally got it! Aaron liked the idea of having a garden but didn't realize the goodness we had in store for us! He has become addicted. He gets so excited when we walk out there and there is stuff to pick. I have to say I am addicted to it too. I was a little nervous that this year would just end up being a trial and error year. I didn't think we'd get anything but a good lesson from it. I was wrong to say the least. So here we go. The story of our garden.

Aaron raked out all the big rocks and sticks.

You can't plant a garden without a plan. So I made one.

Kade likes being a good helper.


Planting tomatoes. I didn't know this but my mom told me a good tip for tomatoes. If you are planting a tomato plant, it is best to plant the plant on it's side. Sounds weird but it worked! My neighbor said our tomatoes are huge compared to hers!

The night we planted we ended so late. I know this is a fabulous picture of me and you're all thinking, "Sheesh why doesn't she model!" I know. I'm just showing you how late we worked on the garden that first night.
Our tomatoes.

The corn.

The green beans.

This collage shows, the green peppers cucumber, corn, peas and raspberries. (The raspberry bushes were already here! We're so lucky. Well I am. Aaron doesn't like raspberries!)

The zucchini.

The lettuce that turned into a yummy salad.

This is how our garden looked before we left for California on July 19th.

And this is the garden we came back to on July 26th. It's all huge. The corn doubled in size, the pepper plants doubled in size. It's all just gotten gigantic in 1 week! Aaron says it's not a garden it's a jungle.

This is our bounty. The fruits of our labors. The hard work definitely pays off!

15 comments:

The Marvelous Mrs. Miller said...

I am so super impressed with you! Nice work! That's so great!!!

Joe and Victoria said...

this is such a great post! Joe and I have wanted to start a garden in our backyard... maybe next year. Everything looks so yummy! Great job you guys!

Unknown said...

holy beanage, batman! you did great! I still have no zucchini. There is something about me that zucchini just doesn't like.

Anonymous said...

oh, my, jeny! i can donate to that cause. too much zucchini!!!! nickell, i'm totally jealous of your lettuce that hasn't been eaten by bunnies! yummers! well done. and aaron, who doesn't like raspberries???

Anonymous said...

rachel is my new ID, by the way. it's easier than signin in and out. --Heidi

Amber Joy said...

so impressive for your first time. Your my new go-to person in all things gardening :)

mindy said...

Nickell, that's great! You're doing better than I ever did. I never could get beans to grow well. How fun!

Melody's Voice said...

That's awesome! I love your puny little carrots :)

Teresa said...

wow that is quite a garden! Keith is going to be so jealous :) He has always wanted me to do a big vegetable garden, but plants hate me :) Thats pretty cool that you can grow lettuce! Our next door neighbor gave up because of rabbits

Aaron Blair said...

We just shoot the rabbits...just kidding...our issue has been bugs. Like yesterday when I picked a zucchini there were a ton of some weird looking bug on it.

Mary Rubow said...

I am so jealous. I started a garden this year and have confirmed my theories that I have the ugliest brown thumb ever. My Dad would be ashamed. Your garden looks awesome. We worked many hard hours and had one small carrot, one sour cucumber, 3 small strawberries and now the only thing growing are 4 pumpkins that I didn't even plant (my mother-in-law snuck in our backyard and planted them without me knowing it). She said maybe next year, I should just plant flowers. (It's sad, but true.)

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! It looks amazing! I wish we had a garden like that!

Unknown said...

Oh my heck...that's insane! I am working on starting our garden too...you should give me some of your green thumb because I have a black thumb...here's to hoping I can do something awesome like you!

Fun and Festive said...

You must have some magic power over Aaron to get him to work in the garden willingly or maybe it's called love.

Fun and Festive said...

By the way. Thank you for the amazing beautiful and creative photo's you took of Summer and Darrell at their wedding. You and Aaron make a good team.

Blog Archive

Other Fun Stuff