Thursday, January 2, 2014

Lori Lauritzen Diaz de Lope-Diaz

On December 19th at 9:22 am, I received a text message from my mom.

 "Just wanted you all to know that my sister Lori suffered from a major brain hemorrhage this morning. They have flown her to a hospital with a neurosurgeon but are not very optimistic. Please keep her in your prayers this morning."

Obviously, this caught me off guard. I was worried, for my Aunt and my mom's family. 

Then, at 11:23 am:
"Neurosurgeon says there is no reason to do surgery at this point. Anyone who can make it to the hospital to see her, should do so as soon as possible. Dad is talking to JD to get a DNR order." 

I had just pulled into the driveway, at home, when I received that text. I sat there, in shock. I called my Aunt Amy. She lives in San Antonio and was at the hospital where Lori was flown. My heart broke. My first thought was for my cousin Tere. She had just gotten to Spain, days earlier. She's Lori's oldest child. She's a year older than I am. Way too young to lose your mother. All of her kids are too young to lose their mother. My heart also broke for my mom and her siblings.

After talking with her and then talking with Aaron, it was decided that we'd be going to San Antonio that evening.

We finally made it to San Antonio. Amy had gone home because she'd been awake for something like 38 hours and was wiped out.

When I walked into the hospital, I was shaking. I was trying to prepare myself though, for what I was about to see. I knew it was going to be difficult. It was. It's not something I've dealt with before- a young, loved one, on the brink of death.

I sat there with her and held her hand. She wasn't awake but I talked to her. I told her how much I loved her and how much we'd all miss her. I told her how much my mom loved her and wished she was there, right then. Her brain activity had been gradually decreasing but every time I spoke to her, she'd squeeze my hand. She was there, and I take great comfort in knowing that she heard my voice and knew I was there with her, even though my mom couldn't be.

Walking away, knowing it would be the last time I'd see her alive, was heartbreaking. I wanted to sit there with her for as long as I could.

The next morning (Friday), JD (her third child) and his wife Monica arrived from New Mexico. Paperwork was started and arrangements were starting to be made for her funeral services. Later that day April (her second child) arrived from Florida. Tere, being in Spain, was unable to make it home. They Skyped with her in the hospital room. Saturday morning my Grandparents arrived from Colorado. She was then extubated around 3:30 pm. Only a couple hours later, she passed away.


Lori Diaz de Lope-Diaz 1965-2013
Lori Lauritzen Diaz de Lope-Diaz, 48, passed away on Saturday, December 21, 2013 in San Antonio, Texas. She was born on May 27, 1965 in Provo, Utah to parents Kenneth Barry and Linda Lee Lauritzen.

Her service-oriented nature led to an undergraduate degree at Midwestern State University and later to the University of Texas Health Science Center where she earned her M.S. in Nursing. Lori was very artistic and enjoyed singing.

She is survived by her daughters, Linda Teresa Diaz de Lope-Diaz and April Jaleen Reiff; her sons, Jose Diaz de Lope-Diaz V and Nicolas Kenn Diaz de Lope-Diaz; her parents Kenneth Barry Lauritzen and Linda Lee (Breckenridge) Lauritzen; eight siblings, Kristi Jensen, Jenylyn Grierson, Amy Payne, David Lauritzen, Mindy Brown, Heidi Parkinson, Holly Emerson and Matthew Lauritzen; four grandchildren, Makayla, Meaghan, Derek and Cassandra.

SERVICE

FRIDAY

DECEMBER 27, 2013

2:00 P.M.

CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER DAY SAINTS

7100 WILDER AVENUE

SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS



My parents arrived on Christmas Eve, here in Cedar Park. We celebrated Christmas. The next morning, we made our way down to San Antonio. When we got to Amy's house.... there were a lot of people. It made me happy to see that all 8 of her siblings were going to be at her funeral. The last 3 arrived early in the morning on Friday. We had nearly our entire family all together. That's not an easy task when there are so many! We missed the spouses and cousins that weren't able to make it. 

The funeral was very nice. My mom gave the eulogy. My favorite part was when she pointed out that Lori, who loved Christmas more than Santa (seriously though, she was obsessed) was able to go home for Christmas. It seemed very fitting. Kylee and my cousin Spencer sang a beautiful musical number, "O Holy Night". 

Afterward, we headed to the cemetery. I photographed it and will let the photos do the talking, from now on. 

3 comments:

Lloyd & Kristi said...

Absolutely beautiful! Thank you so much Nickell

Melodys Voice said...

I'm sorry for your loss.

blauritz said...

That was really nice Nickell. I loved it. Thank you for doing it. And for taking pictures. We appreciate it so much. I'm so sorry you guys were so sick. Grandma

Blog Archive

Other Fun Stuff